The University of Manchester Intellectual Property (UMIP) is the managing agent
of The University of Manchester for intellectual property commercialisation.
UMIP is a division of UMI3 and is wholly owned by The University of Manchester.
It consists of faculty oriented business management teams backed up by a
central corporate office which provides company secretarial, marketing, legal
and financial expertise.
UMIP key activities
- Manages IP created at the University
- Identifies, protects and evaluates the commercial potential of research from all faculties
- Commercialises IP via the most appropriate route: sale, licence or spin-out
- UMIP holds the University’s patent budget, manages its Proof of Principle awards and provides access to spin-out investment funds via The UMIP Premier Fund
- UMIP has access to an extensive network of industry experts, consultants,professional advisers and investors
Building on over 20 years of technology transfer activity we have helped:
- Raise £100Ms for spin-out companies
- Create hundreds of jobs
- Reach an annual rate of 20 licences with UK and international companies
- Sell shares and collect royalties regularly