Key UMIP Metrics
UMIP is wholly owned by The University of Manchester which has over a 20 year history of Intellectual Property (IP) commercialisation. UMIP's role is to enhance the reputation of the University's intellectual property development through successful spin-out and licensing business activities. All of the brilliant ideas which are generated by the University's researchers have the potential to save lives, improve health, increase efficiencies in industry and the environment, and otherwise enhance society and make positive contributions to our economy.
Key metrics: Since our inception in October 2004:
- Over 2,200 invention disclosures have been received (371 during 2011/2012).
- We have initiated and managed over 120 University Proof-of-Principle IP projects.
- We have set up 28 spin-out companies and brokered 301 licences and assignments.
- Established the £32M UMIP Premier Fund, in March 2008. (This is Europe's largest venture fund dedicated to one university).
- £205M has been invested by venture funders in University of Manchester spin-outs, a number of which have received national and regional enterprise awards. It currently has over 100 projects in its portfolio at various stages of development.
- The University's IP enterprises have generated approximately £50M to the University through the sale of shares in spin-outs, licensing income and through IP grants and contracts activity.
Policy and Awards
- We have developed an IP policy and model (and track-record) which is often cited as "best" practice and UMIP is referenced as a European benchmark organisation by other universities and agencies.
- In 2009, UMIP was awarded the PraxisUNICO Business Impact Award and from 2004, over 35 awards or shortlisted placings have been won by spin-out companies/UMIP technology projects.
- Please see the pamphlet below for more information about our key achievements and contribution to society. UMIP is a UMI3 division