Enhancing society, making positive contributions to the UK economy.
UMIP is wholly owned by The University of Manchester which has over a 25 year history of Intellectual Property (IP) commercialisation. UMIP’s role is to enhance the reputation of the University’s intellectual property development through successful spin-out and licensing business activities.
All of the brilliant ideas which are generated by the University’s researchers have the potential to save lives, improve health, increase efficiencies in industry and the environment, and otherwise enhance society and make positive contributions to our economy.
Since our inception in October 2004:
- Over 3,700 invention disclosures have been received
- We have initiated and managed over 190 University Proof-of-Principle IP projects
- We have set up 40 spin-out companies and 43 social enterprise spin-outs, staff start-ups and assisted student start-ups
- We have brokered over 4,800 licences and assignments
- Established the £32M UMIP Premier Fund, in March 2008 (This is Europe’s largest venture fund dedicated to one university)
- Established with IP Group plc a £5M Proof-of-Principle funding facility for new technology projects intended for commercialisation through spin-out companies
- Over £300M has been invested by venture funders in University of Manchester spin-outs, a number of which have received national and regional enterprise awards. It currently has over 100 projects in its portfolio at various stages of development
- The University’s IP enterprises have generated over £105M to the University through the sale of shares in spin-outs, licensing income and through IP grants and contracts activity
Policy and Awards
We have developed an IP policy and model (and track-record) which is often cited as “best” practice and UMIP is referenced as a European benchmark organisation by other universities and agencies.
In 2016, UMIP/MEC won the UnLtd and HEFCE Higher Education Institute Recognition Award for Innovation in Delivery of Support to Social Entrepreneurs.
In 2015, UMIP/MEC retained the Outstanding HEI Supporting Social Entrepreneurship Award from UnLtd and HEFCE, first won in 2013.
In 2009, UMIP was awarded the PraxisUNICO Business Impact Award and from 2004, over 75 awards or shortlisted placings have been won by spin-out companies/UMIP technology projects.