This competition is now closed – thanks for your entries
Are you an entrepreneur, an innovator?
Like to be part of Manchester’s rich history of innovation?
Like to launch your own spin-out?
We are offering three prizes of £10K
If you are an innovator and would like to launch your own spin-out company, here’s the chance to win £10K to do just that!
We are looking for innovations from entrepreneurial academics, staff and post-doctoral researchers from across the University to create new spin-out businesses. Your innovation could be based on existing research, an idea outside of this agenda or one based on multi/interdisciplinary research.
We’ll provide you with all the relevant support to help you develop your innovation from concept to reality or, if your idea is already well formed, we will help to fast track it.
How to enter:
Entering our competition is easy. Turn up at one of our UMIP video recording booths and describe your innovation and its potential as a business in a two minute video pitch. Alternatively, just send your video pitch to: email@example.com
- Applications close Friday 26th January 2018
- Video recording booths available from 10-4 at UMIC’s Core Technology Facility on Grafton Street on Tuesday 16th January, The Schuster Building on Brunswick Street on Wednesday 17th January and at The Manchester Institute of Biotechnology (MIB) on Sackville Street on Thursday 18th January.
- You will receive feedback and, if your entry has been successful, you will be notified by the 12th February 2018. UMIP will work with you to prepare a business case with input from a panel of entrepreneurs and investors. You will also be allocated a Mentoring Buddy to support you for the next stage in the competition: The Next Big Pitch.
- The Next Big Pitch will take place on Wednesday 21st March 2018 in our Innovation Centre’s Events space where you will present your business case in front of a panel of judges comprising UMIP staff, patent attorneys and a selection of investors and entrepreneurs. The three prizes will be announced on the day.
Competition Entry Details
You must be an academic, member of staff or a post-doctoral researcher currently at The University of Manchester.
You can enter as an individual or a team, especially if your idea involves different research skills.
Recording your video at the UMIP Recording Booth.
Booths will be manned to help you with your recording.
You only have 2 mins so please be brief and get your key points across clearly. Here is an outline to help you:
(1) Please clearly state who you are and where you work within the University and how best to contact you
(2) What’s your innovation in layman’s terms?
(3) How far have you got in developing it?
(4) Why is it better than the competition?
(5) What are the potential application areas?
(6) Who do you think would buy it (if a product) or use it (if a service)?
Confidentiality will be observed.
For inspiration with your entry, please see a selection of our technology videos on UMIPTV.
Please contact Dr Roisin McCallion, Roisin.McCallion@umip.com